Renovations Finally being made to the Townhouse Community

Outside+outline+of+what+the+Townhouses+look+like.+Renovations+are+on+the+way.+Photo+taken+by+Josiah+Darnell.+

Outside outline of what the Townhouses look like. Renovations are on the way. Photo taken by Josiah Darnell.

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

The Townhouses are one of the oldest residential options for students, with the exception of North and Martin halls. They are the furthest dormitories on campus with a hill connecting them to everything else.

The Townhouses have had the same setup with very little difference between them over the course of the years. Even in the last four years of the Briarcliff campus being the main campus for student housing, the Townhouses had a very antique and worn-down look.

There are a lot of old and wooden furniture in the houses and the bathrooms do not have locks on them. The air conditioners are temperature operated so once the temperature drops below a certain degree, they won’t be operational. A lot is going on with the houses when it comes to structural layout and the answer seems to be coming soon.

On Feb. 25, a mass email was sent out to students to inform them about potential renovations for the Townhouses. The Office of Residential Life and Housing have partnered up with an architect to see what type of improvements can be made. In order for them to do this they would need to enter houses to see what their main focus needs to be.

The email also stated that renovations will happen in the next few years, so that means there may or may not be changes to them by next semester or even next year. This past year, furniture has already been updated with newer couches and sofas being added to living rooms, with the older ones being discarded.

If the actual physical structure of the Townhouses can’t be renovated, then the main focus for the architect and their crew should be the bed frames, dressers, desks, bathrooms, and kitchens. The bed frames, desks, and dressers all have antique like wooden frames about them and are rickety. The bathrooms need to have locks on the doors and need decent shower heads in them.

The kitchens would benefit from a slightly larger fridge because the one that is currently in place doesn’t have enough space to hold the necessary amount of food needed for eight people. This is essential since Townhouse residents need to lean heavily on cooked meals rather than Kessel. Piping in the kitchen sinks need updating and the stove tops need  leveling.

There aren’t drastic measures that need to be taken when it comes to renovating the houses but the slight changes that were mentioned are the issues that come up the most with Townhouse residents.

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

I am a junior Digital Journalism major with a minor in sports  marketing. I'm currently the Opinion Editor of the Pace Chronicle. I'm from Queens, NY,...