Stress! Is the Summer Internship Worth it?

Students+have+a+lot+to+think+about+when+applying+for+summer+internships.+

Brit Pisoni

Students have a lot to think about when applying for summer internships.

Brit Pisoni, Contributing Writer

We have all been there: cramped in a little desk that hardly holds  any books, waiting for the professor to stop their 45-minute ramble about some story that supposedly is relevant to the lesson, and stressing over other overwhelming priorities you deem more important than giving your undivided attention to whatever weird turn the class conversation has taken. You figure it’s feasible to multitask—starting on that research paper due in two days, or maybe you can study for that math test coming up soon. Or—perhaps you can start looking for that summer internship you so desperately need.

With more and more students entering the workforce, competition increases rapidly. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, unemployment among college graduates in 2018 was at 2.1 percent. Though unemployment for college graduates has steadily decreased in the last 10 years after it reached a record-high five percent during the 2009 recession, some students still fear that they won’t be able to compete.

But summer internships can be less taxing on students’ stress thanks to the lack of schoolwork they’re required to do, giving students a confidence boost.

“I would want an internship in the summer specifically because my course load is so heavy that I wouldn’t be able to successfully juggle that on top of my school work,” said Sam Murphy, a human resource management junior.

Taking a summer internship can help students dedicate their time during the school year to their education. However, summer internships come with concerns.

In 2018, 60.9 percent of graduates used the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to help assist them with tuition. But many students are left unaware that FAFSA cannot be used during the summer sessions. According to Pace’s website, summer part-time tuition is $995 per credit. On average, most internships are 3-4 credits, making the total cost anywhere from $2985 to $3980. Students who depend on FAFSA would have to pay these costs out of pocket to receive credit for their internships.

The location of an internship can also affect a student’s wallet.

“Most of the internships I’ve applied to are in New York City, and though I can take the bus or the train to get there, it is a hassle to commute that much for an internship,” Murphy said.

Pace’s policy is that students cannot receive credit for a paid internship. Not only do students have to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket to receive credit, but they also have to pay for living and travel expenses.

So I ask once again: Is the summer internship worth it? The answer appears to lie in both your financial needs and availability during the fall and spring semesters.