Pace Drama Alliance Performs Club Conspiracy

The+cast+of+Club+Conspiracy.+Photo+by+Alex+Franciosa.+
The cast of Club Conspiracy. Photo by Alex Franciosa.

Joseph Tucci, Managing Editor

The Pace Drama Alliance performed their newest original production “Club Conspiracy” on Apr. 10 and 11 in the Kessel’s Gottesman room.

“Club Conspiracy,” is a comedy that tells the story of a college book club disguised as an alien conspiracy club, that ends up becoming an actual conspiracy club over the course of the play when they realize the debate team may be aliens.

“The play is about this college club, known as Club Conspiracy, which is an alien conspiracy club, but in actuality, they are a book club and they only front as an alien conspiracy club,” said Jeremy Langdale, who played Peter in the play. “But they become an actual alien conspiracy club when they begin to suspect the debate team on their campus is actually aliens.”

Director/screenwriter Alex Franciosa’s inspiration sprouted from her interest in aliens and watching “The X-Files.” Brandon Caridi, also a director/screenwriter, went along with the idea and expressed some of the characters were loosely based off of Pace Students, but their personalities are amplified.

“I dig the whole alien thing; half of the time I feel like an alien so it kind of was fitting,” Caridi said in a joking matter. “We would take someone’s personality and triple it, and take all of the worst aspects of them and [amplified them times ten].”

Both directors admitted they had no idea what they were doing at first, so during the process of putting the play together they figured out what worked through trial and error. When directing they had to find a balance between being stern and encouraging with their cast so the play could be as good possible.

Auditions were held in February and the directors were surprised with how well the actors filled their roles.

“The actors just kind of appeared out of the ground,” Caridi said metaphorically. “I’m pretty sure Jeremy just came on a chariot of light and was like, ‘I can be your Peter.'”

Langdale said the casting was spot on and that he enjoyed playing a character that was his polar opposite.

“[Peter] is essentially like John Belushi in animal house where he’s obnoxious and makes a lot of d— jokes because he’s an overcompensater and he gives big ass speeches that are ripe with historical inaccuracies, and being a huge student and fan of history and just being a character that’s the complete opposite was a lot of fun,” Langdale said.

One of Franciosa’s and Caridi’s favorite scenes was during the play’s climax when the actors spray each other with water guns.

“The climax of the play had everyone dripping wet, which is how I think most climaxes should be,” Caridi said in a joking manner.

The play was advertised by the directors who made alien-themed posters and dressed up in morph suits and handed the posters out to people in Alumni Hall.

“Probably five percent of people were terrified [because of the morph suits] and we felt really bad,” Caridi said. “The rest [of the reactions] were kind of humorous.”

The posters ended up having the unintended consequence of convincing some that there was an alien club on campus.

“One of the greatest effects of this play and its long lasting legacy on Pace is accidently creating the extraterrestrial club on campus. Apparently one of the tour guides saw that it was a poster, and didn’t read that it was a play and told incoming students that we now have an alien club,” Franciosa said jokingly.

The directors are extremely happy and amazed with how the play turned out. Around 70 people came the first night the play, which is more than most of Pace DramAlliance’s plays get according to the Franciosa and Caridi.