Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

America Officially Abolishes Slavery

After 148 years, Mississippi can now say that slavery has been completely abolished.  Who can we thank for this? Steven Spielberg.

With the Oscar winning success of Spielberg’s Lincoln curiosity arose on what happened after the states voted on the 13Amendment.

For those who have not taken a history class in quite some time, the 13 Amendment was added to the constitution on Dec. 6, 1865. It states that “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.” The second section of the amendment covers legislation in regards to the above statement.

According to Dr. Ranjan Batra, a professor at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, the state legislature approved the amendment in 1995 but it was never filed to Office of the Federal Register.

Regarding this topic, former Secretary of State, Dick Molpus, who served in 1995 said, “What an error to have in filing.”

How did such an error occur, especially when it comes to something on which America prides itself? Even though it was fixed easily, it still makes you wonder how this went unnoticed for so long.

“This just shows how much of an effect the entertainment business has on Americans, it is very eye opening,” said environmental studies major James Ward.

The incident brings to mind other issues that America is struggling with, like gay marriage and legalization of marijuana. States are allowed to have their own individual laws on the subject but due to the Supremacy Clause, Federal Law overturns some of these laws.

“When it comes to things like slavery, it’s great that we have things like the Supremacy Clause that will insure the basic rights of the country,” said Ward.

The film Lincoln additionally was brought under scrutiny by Connecticut law officials who found discrepancies in the way the film portrayed the state and their role in the process of adding the amendment.

Congressman Courtney of Connecticut is requesting that the film corrects the inaccuracy before it reaches the DVD and Blue-ray format.

Lincoln opened in theaters Oct. 8, 2012 and as of Feb. 22 made more than 178 million dollars.

Spielberg seems to be having a solid year: two Oscars and changing U.S. law, what more could someone ask for?