Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

What Do Inflatable Animals and Roasted Chicken Have in Common?

Ever since the dawn of the ‘rock star,’ artists have demanded ridiculous items in order to perform to the best of their abilities. These items are usually featured on what is known as a ‘rider list’, which usually details (very specifically) what these idols need.

You know… typical things like an inflatable animal, a Bob Hope impersonator, a meditation room and six pairs of underwear…in case the performer runs into some ‘difficulties.’

Here are some highlights from some of the most ridiculous riders of all time:

Beyoncé at Superbowl XLVII: each room or place that Beyoncé will be in should have juicy baked chicken heavily seasoned with fresh garlic, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper. The dressing room should be 78 degrees.

Steve Aoki: three hotels rooms within a two mile radius of the venue, four Odwalla Omega B Smoothie drinks, four confetti boat or dingy, suitable for two to three people, six pairs of men’s underwear (briefs style), two medium sized cakes that reads “DIM MAK,” one eighth of local ‘grass.’

Diplo (yes, this is real): two air horns, two inflatable animals (bonus points for endangered or extinct species), four blank Maxell cassettes (new in package), one paddle swimming pool, 1983 G.I. Joe Storm Shadow Action Figure (new in package), one  framed picture of Diplo, one gorilla (silverback is preferred, an orangutan is also acceptable), ten Magnum condoms, one Malawian orphan, one arranged marriage, one original Nintendo in the box (with receipt from Kiddy City), one violin player (to play while we eat our cheese plate), two matches and lighter fluid, one bonfire pit, two logs to sit on, third season of Lost (on VHS tapes), one parrot that is trained to say your name, one dart board (with Nicolas Cage’s face on it), short wave radio, 1983 Yak Face Star Wars Return of the Jedi Action Figure (new in package).

Blink-182: large bottle of chewable Vitamin C, large J. Crew boxer shorts, bottle of very good red wine (Australian or South African preferred), X-rated lesbian themed magazine, carton of Marlboro Lights.

Kanye West: full-size couch, love seats (all of which are in a nice living room style set up), tube of carmex lip balm, barber’s chair, bottle of Hennessey, SKY, Absolut, Patron Silver, Nivea lotion, intensive Neutrogena face scrub, Versace towels cut into customized squares, in addition anyone serving Yeezy will be required to wear 100% cotton outfits…yeah.

Van Halen (circa 1982): herring in sour cream, M&M’s (ABSOLUTLEY NO BROWN ONES!), one large tube of KY Jelly, four cases of malt liquor

Justin Bieber: one package of Swedish or Big Foots, full hour nap-time before concerts, Nintendo 64’s Goldeneye, four t-shirts, Vick’s Steam Inhaler

Katy Perry: freeze dried strawberries, coffee table (Perspex modern style), egg chairs, refrigerator with glass door, two floor lamps (French ornate style), fresh flowers consisting of pink.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: aromatherapy candles, glacier water from Hawaii or Australia (three room temperature, three cold), a blue meditation painted in a medium to dark color (blue is not okay), fresh ginger root, pitted dates or figs, long socks.

DMX: one gallon of Hennessey, 24 Minute Maid assorted juice boxes, three boxes of Magnum condoms, one carton of Newport cigarettes, one case of swisher sweets perfectos.