Hudson Stage Company Brings 4000 Miles to Pace Chronicle

The Hudson Stage Company, a group that performs out of Woodward Hall at the Briarcliff campus, will put on Amy Herzog’s play 4000 Miles this week.

“We’re always looking for exciting new voices,” producer and professor Denise Bessette said.

4000 Miles is an off-Broadway play that follows Leo, played by Jacob Perkins, as he copes with the loss of his best friend on a cross-country bike trip. He then seeks his grandmother for comfort in New York City. 4000 Miles was a nominee for the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and was named Time Magazine’s #1 Play of 2012. The Hudson Stage Company consists of Bessette, Dan Foster, and Olivia Sklar.

Even though, according to Bessette, they have been known to sell out numerous shows when they have a production, not many students are aware of their presence.

“We don’t really see many Pace students attending, but we offer a significant discount of $25 a ticket, which is really good for an off-Broadway play,” Bessettte said.

Regardless of the lack of attention from the student body, Bessette is confident in the play’s success because of the level of talent.

“I really like this role because it’s a great blend of comedy and tragedy so it allows me to stretch certain muscles and not be locked into one type,” 24-year-old Jacob Perkins said.

Seeing as though Perkins is only 24, this might cause doubt in his experience, but Bessette insists that he is quite the professional.

“I’ve done one film before but mainly I enjoy the stage, there’s just something about hearing the breathe of the audience when they react to certain actions, it’s really exciting.” Perkins said. The talent doesn’t end there, Bessette herself has been a professional actress since 1978 and has extensive list of credentials of performing art schools so the stage is truly her home.
The one thing Hudson Stage is unsure of is how long will Woodward Hall be their home. With the groundbreaking ceremony for the Master Plan, Briarcliff campus may not be owned by Pace for much longer.

“We aren’t sure how this is going to impact us but we are very eager to continue our presence at Pace no matter what,” Bessette said.

4000 Miles will be performed in Woodward Hall from Nov. first to 16. They offer a student discount of 25 dollars for Pace students, senior discount of 30 dollars and a general admission of 35 dollars. For more ticket information head to Hudsonstage. com