Professor Spotlight

Dr. Weishaus, A Diamond In The Rough

Professor+Spotlight

Brett Kurpit, Featured Writer

It’s rare that a professor would remember the name and face of over 20,000 students, yet recalls each and every one.  It’s also uncommon to see a full-time professor successfully balancing teaching and unparalleled involvement in extracurricular activities.  Dr. Howard Weishaus proves to be the diamond in the rough.

“I truly wish that there was one more hour in the day,” Weishaus said.  “I’ve done a lot, but I could always do more.”

Weishaus, who graduated from Columbia University with a master’s degree in history, started teaching at Pace in 1998 when his wife discovered an advertisement for the position in The New York Times.

Through his outstanding instruction and involvement at Pace, the prized Professor has been awarded multiple honors including a yearbook dedication (2004), a three-times honoree of The School of Education honoree, and accepting the Dean’s Award for Outstanding Faculty in 2004.  Additionally, he is currently nominated for the Keenan Award for Excellence in Teaching, a prestigious honor in which the results will be given at this year’s commencement.

None of these achievements should come as a surprise, as Weishaus’ teaching method compels students to listen, learn, and relate.

“I like to use hypothetical situations to galvanize critical thinking, which I think we need more of,” Weishaus said. “It helps students think outside of the box, and creating scenarios that directly affect their lives generates a sense of empathy.”

While the subjects of history and political science prove to be dry and boring to several students, Weishaus believes that having a good sense of humor contributes to a productive discussion.

“Whenever a student makes a comment, I like to reply with positive phrases, such as ‘excellent point,’” Weishaus said.  “If we’re all laughing and enjoying ourselves, I notice that more people open up and contribute to the conversation.”

By connecting the past to the present, Weishaus gives students a reason to care about both domestic and foreign issues.  He also uses metaphors and phrases (many of which he coined himself) to provide a deeper insight into where our society has been, and where it is headed.

Though Weishaus initially engages the discussions with his students, he prefers not to lecture entirely on his own.

“I enjoy having students that contribute their own thoughts and feelings without me interfering,” said Weishaus.  “I consider myself as the quarterback; I’m just trying to move the ball down the field.”

Weishaus has also been to almost every home football and basketball game since 1988.  By showing his support, he gains a sincere connection with his students.

“I find that getting to know the student-athletes can carry over into the classroom,” said Weishaus.  “I think that they can identify with me and become more motivated because they know that I understand them and care about their issues.”

In addition to his involvement in his students’ athletic activities, Weishaus has always been involved with student government, dating back to when he was in high school.

Political science has always been Weishaus’ favorite subject, and he is currently writing an encyclopedia on the United States presidents, with the help of several other professors.

The soon-to-be 75 year old has no timetable for retirement in his near future.  He says teaching gives him a purpose, and that education can change, influence, and inspire people.

“As John F. Kennedy said, ‘My boat is so small, and the ocean is so large.’ I’d like to think that I’ve positively affected many peoples’ lives, and I wish to do that for as long as I can,” Weishaus said.