New Management Brings Changes to the Pleasantville Diner

A sign announces the Pleasantville’s diner upcoming delivery option, though no date has been set yet. Photo by Amelia Gilmer/The Pace Chronicle.

AMELIA GILMER, Featured Writer

Located in the heart of Pleasantville, the Pleasantville Diner has been a staple location for Pace students to visit in town. Recently featured in the online show Comedians in Cars getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld and Steve Martin, the diner has provided students with a large menu and a place to hang out with friends.

Now, the diner plans on drawing in even more costumers by introducing a delivery option. Though it has not been implemented yet, this new option will begin soon.

“People have been asking about it,” Pleasantville Diner Manager Norbert Okras said.

Okras just recently became the new manager for the diner within the past two months and he hopes that the delivery option will expand their business.

Just like Subway and On’s Chinese Kitchen, the Pleasantville Diner will be accepting flex for their delivery service. Cards can and will be taken over the phone. However, depending on the total amount of the order, there may be a delivery service charge. The specific amount needed to not have to pay for delivery has yet to be determined.

“I think it’s going to be a good option for students who want a variety of food that doesn’t include Subway and Chinese food,” senior Eric Medina-Rivera said.

Delivery presents other positives for students as well. On cold days, if students do not want to walk to the bus stop on campus to wait for the shuttle to go to town, they will no longer have to do that.

“You don’t have to drive anywhere,” points out sophomore Scott Dodaro. “I would order the chicken parm wrap. It’s good, takes flex and the delivery just makes it more convenient.”

While this new option provides some positives, some students feel that delivery will take away from the experience of actually going to the diner.

“When I go to the diner, I go to hang out, sit down and have a meal with my friends,” sophomore Keenan Barrot said. “It’s like an experience in of itself.”

Though the diner is an easy restaurant to access from campus, opinions of the diner vary from student to student.

“They shouldn’t close so early, the food is mediocre at best and their desserts aren’t that good,” grad student Dante Plush said. “But they offer student discounts, so there’s that.”

The quality of the food and service, however, do not matter to some students due to the acceptance of flex dollars. The diner is one of the locations in town that accept flex and, for many Pace students, the option is key to them.

“It’s good for flex because it’s not real money,” sophomore Banyan McGuire said.

Currently, there are only 15 places in the area that take flex as a form of payment.

Depending on the meal plan you have, the average amount of flex given per semester is 100 dollars. This can be considered a rather limited amount and some students feel that, for this reason, the diner is not the place to go.

“They have really good milkshakes, but I’d rather go to subway,” sophomore Chelsea Almeida said. “Flex is valuable and the diner is not worth the flex.”

In addition to the delivery service, the diner has recently undergone renovations and the booths have a new design.

“We’re going to have a new menu and with the new menu, we’re going to focus on adding modern stuff for the younger crowd,” Okras said.

These new additions include new sandwiches, appetizers and Paninis.

“Pace students have always been good to us, they come all the time and I think that this is good for us and good for them,” Okras said.

The date for the start of delivery service has not yet been decided.