Pride at Pace Working to Make Pace More Sex Positive

Students eagerly wait for doors to open to Pride at Pace’s Sexology event on Wed., Feb 17. Photo by Jennifer Robertson/The Pace Chronicle.

JENNIFER ROBERTSON, Health Editor

Pride at Pace, the LGBT awareness student organization on campus, and the LBGTQA Center hosted its first Pace wide sex positive event called Sexology on Wed., Feb. 17. Inspired by SUNY Purchase’s own event of the same nature, Pace’s Sexology set up booths around Gottesman Room for students to learn about sex education and sex positivity.

Sex positivity is a movement that believes all healthy and consensual sex is a positive thing according to Colorado State University’s Women and Gender Advocacy Center. By opening the discussion about sex-related topics like BDSM and masturbation, this event challenged Pace students to discuss sex comfortably.

The event was advertised through flyers and a mass email that went out to members on OrgSync hours before the event, enticing many students with the promise of Chipotle and freebies. Twenty students or so lined up excitedly outside the event for its 8 p.m. opening. Students received a paper to keep track of the booths that they attended, and were entered into a sex toy raffle if they attended them all.

Members from Pride at Pace hosted their own booths to quiz students about sex facts in exchange for prizes like flavored condoms and body paint. The LGBTQA Center hosted its own booth to discuss consent where students could write down ways to ask for consent on post-it notes to add to the giant poster asking, “what is a sexy way to ask for consent?”

“Our events aren’t just for LGBT members. We embrace all healthy sex,” Price at Pace treasurer Mercedes Major said.

Additionally, the Health Care Center hosted a booth to educate about various Sexually Transmitted Infections, share their own services, and give away free condoms to students.

Pride at Pace went beyond its own Pace resources to request outside organizations to come to the event. The student organization found free vendors to sponsor the event including Planned Parenthood and My Sister’s Place, which both have offices in Westchester.

Planned Parenthood representatives gave out sex education pamphlets, condoms, keychains, lip balm, and free 20-minute HIV testing in the LGBTQA Center’s office on the second floor of Kessel.

My Sister’s Place, an organization that achieves to end domestic violence, offered students flyers regarding healthy relationships, and how to talk to friends who may be victims of domestic abuse. The organization representatives were very excited to be part of the Sexology event and offer education to the Pace community.

Throughout the event, YouTuber Laci Green’s videos played on the large screen discussing sex positivity.

“We wanted to bring awareness of safe sex and show ways to spice up [students’] sex lives,” President of Pride at Pace Madeline Barrios said.

The junior IT major additionally explained that they wanted the event to represent the openness of the student organization itself.

This event had around 170 students attending the event. Pride at Pace plans to host this event again next spring if not next semester.