Pace Holds Welcome Back Event

President Krislov greets the Pace community. Photo by Emily Bresnahan

Emily Bresnahan, Feature Writer

This past Thursday, students gathered in Gottesman for fries, ice cream, and a warm welcome from President Marvin Krislov and Interim Provost, Nira Herrmann. At Pace University’s annual welcome back event, students and faculty are able to mingle in a casual setting.

The event, which took place during common hour, drew in students excited to have the chance to speak with Pace University’s new president. The offer of free food was enough to get students there, but President Krislov was the cherry on top.

The first to speak was Dean for Students, Lisa Bardill-Moscaritolo, with excitement she explained how she has never seen a larger crowd at the annual event. Bardill-Moscaritolo asked freshmen to raise their hands, as “they are first to the campus, just like our president!”

President Marvin Krislov, JD, approached the podium next and focused on the importance of student-led government.

“They can only do things if you help them,” said Krislov, thanking SGA President, Julian Alston, for all his hard work. “I’m really proud of what we have here in Westchester.”

Next to speak was the Interim Provost, Nira Herrmann, PhD, who briefly thanked the crowd for their attendance and wished the Pace University students and faculty a “wonderful, wonderful, year.”

Alston wrapped up the speeches by thanking the Pace Community for their overwhelming support, “Pace has become my second home.”

After the brief speeches, raffles became the center of attention, with prizes like a $100 Barnes and Noble gift card and Fossil watches donated by Pace Athletic Department.

Students and faculty alike enjoyed the ice cream bar, and waited for a chance to talk and take a photo with President Krislov.

When speaking with President Krislov, he explained how he is excited to “increase knowledge and representation of Pace University,” and on a more serious note “learn to navigate during challenging times for higher education.”

When discussing long-term goals, President Krislov stated his desire to “raise for money for scholarships and financial aid,” but he explains, “I’m still in learning mode.”

President Marvin Krislov’s official inauguration will be on Oct. 29, 2017.