Colleges Against Cancer and a One Night Stand You’ll Never Forget

Graffiti takes on many forms of use such as expressive and decorative art, gang markings and even memorials. Mortola Library has its own graffiti, which takes the form of sidewalk chalk. What business does the colorful street art have brightening up the otherwise unadorned environment? Only the members of Pace’s chapter of the national organization, Colleges Against Cancer (CAC), would be able to explain the reason for the writings.

“We have one event every month,” said senior childhood education major, English minor and CAC President, Nora Rugova. “This month our Feb. 19 event was the second CAC Kickoff of the school year.”

On the cold night of Nov. 14, 2012 CAC traced each other’s bodies and scripted messages outside of the library in sidewalk chalk. The act was to honor the Great American Smokeout, a nationally recognized day instituted by The American Cancer Society (ACS) to encourage smokers to quit, even if it is just for one day. CAC wrote facts about the relationship between smoking and cancer on the pillars and pathway for those passing by to consider. The dedication of the members is likely accredited to personal ties with cancer.

“Everybody in the organization comes to our meetings for a reason,” said Rugova. “Cancer has affected all of us in one way or another.”

Some members have lost loved ones and others seen friends and family fight. No matter what the story is the members of CAC understand one another’s struggles, being that they are focal point of the group. However, the seemingly disheartening nature of the organization does not present itself due to the good spirits of all of the members and their devotion to those still fighting.

“My favorite aspect of the club is seeing the willpower in all of the members,”
said junior criminal justice major and senator (and future President!) of CAC, Christopher Alessandro. “They are so passionate and always speak up.”

While many clubs leave the majority of power to those who hold e-board positions, CAC allows all members to have an equal say, even if it’s their first night. All members are held to equal positions of power and responsibility which is crucial for putting on Relay for Life, Pace’s biggest annual event.

“In 1985 man named Dr. Gordy Klatt started Relay for Life in Washington,” said Alessandro. “Since then, Klatt and ACS have driven the event to become a global phenomenon in which communities fundraise money to fight cancer.”

Relay communities are not limited to just the United States. Countries such as Australia, Taiwan and Brazil, are only a few examples of countries that participate in the international effort. Universities and elementary schools put on Relay events as well as towns and community individuals. Those who wish to attend form teams giving each member a turn to lap the track. There are a number of ceremonies and interactive forms of entertainment put on as well.

“We always invite survivors,” said Rugova. “They have an honorary dinner before the event and the first lap designated for only them.”

The survivors are encouraged to bring their caregivers, those who range from someone who drove them to chemotherapy, a friend, family member or anyone who had given support to the survivor during his or her fight.

This year’s theme will be Casino Night and CAC urges all to come, no matter if you have a personal connection to cancer or not.

“What is so great about Relay for Life is that it is not a Greek event or a sporting event,” said Rugova. “Relay is a community fundraiser, an opportunity for everyone to unite over one common theme that can better humanity as a whole.”

If you’ve been to a Relay for Life event before you may understand the ability it has in bringing together communities. Each year those who attend Pace’s Relay are offered the rare opportunity to hear stories from their peers, staff, faculty and community members. It is easy to get so caught up in school and fail to recognize the otherwise encumbering struggles of peers. Relay for Life is not only a fundraiser, but an opportunity to reconnect and strengthen communities.

“This year our goal is to bring more survivors to Relay and attain more community involvement,” said Rugova. “We also encourage teams to fundraise before the actual event, by working with CAC and organizing smaller fundraisers, like tabling.”

CAC plans on hosting more events, such as the “Don’t Bake on Spring Break” volleyball tournament in honor of National Skin Cancer Month. The club has only been local for four years, however, they have been ever successful in bringing awareness and education to the Pace and Pleasantville communities.

The organization holds meetings on Mondays at 9pm and is working on finding a new location to meet. CAC encourages all to attend meetings.

“CAC is a club for those who are passionate about helping to fight back cancer,” said Alessandro. “We do not involve ourselves to have something to put down on a resume.”

The members of Colleges Against Cancer dedicate their fervor to something with far greater meaning than a resume. They do it to better the lives of cancer survivors, fighters and their loved ones.