Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

News Blurbs

GAZA – The Egyptian government, with assistance from Secretary of State Hilary Clinton, negotiated a cease fire between Israel and Hamas forces last Wed. After a 24 hour designated peace time, the two sides will engage in a series of talks that will address the issues that divide them. However, it has been an uneasy peace. Last Friday Israeli forces killed a Palestinian citizen on the boarder of Gaza.

AFGHANISTAN – The Taliban executed a suicide bus bombing last Fri. 90 people, including NATO troops, were wounded during the attack and three Afghani citizens were killed. Several government buildings were either damaged or completely destroyed.

CHICAGO – Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. resigned from Congress last Wed. Jackson is currently under investigation by the federal government to determine whether he embezzled campaign funds to decorate his home in D.C. Jackson was absent from congress earlier this year for medical reasons. In his letter of resignation to House Speaker John Boehner, Jackson said he was leaving to “focus on restoring [his] health.”

CYPRUS – Large reserves of natural gas have been found on the southern coats of Cyprus, igniting political controversy with Turkey which claims dominion over that section of the country. Greek Cypriots have allied with Israel, a nation that already has a shaky relationship with Turley, to build a pipeline.

KANSAS – Protests broke out in Kansas last week. A group of approximately 50 illegal immigrants currently attending college in the United States gathered outside secretary of state Kris W. Kobach’s office. Kobach has had a hand in forming many of the country’s immigration policies. The protesters insisted that Kobach should redirect his focus to state, rather than federal issues.

GREECE – As the financial crisis continues, the suicide rate in Greece has risen again this past year. The rate jumped from 830 cases in 2010 to 927 in 2011.  The country’s financial status shows no sign of improving in the coming year.