Photo via paceuathletics.com
Men's Lacrosse seeded 3rd for NE-10 Playoffs

The regular season for Northeast-10 Men's Lacrosse has come to an end. In a dead heat, the Setters wound up with the third seed in the conference....

Evan Mahanna April 20, 2024

Nicholas Diaz and Paris Tracey April 19, 2024

Will Master Plan lead to more school pride?

“No one really gets hyped. It (Pace University) needs hype!” sophomore communication arts and journalism major Ra­ven Rafiq said in regard to the amount of school spirit at various Pace University events.

Some students seem to be lacking in their Pace pride which can be attributed to several dif­ferent things. I, as well as others, argue that the Master Plan and consolidation of campuses will help increase school spirit. The Briarcliff vs. Pleasantville de­bate is thus taken to a new level. Pace students often debate over the benefits to living on Briarcliff versus living on Pleasantville and vice versa. Mostly, arguments involve things like whether the convenience of living on Pleas­antville is better than the con­venience of having your own bathroom in Dow or New Dorm. Other arguments could include food at Kessel compared to food at Briarcliff’s cafeteria. But now the argument has become one of two campuses versus one cam­pus. Students argue that the sepa­ration of campuses is one factor in the lack of school pride, and perhaps one campus will bring more spirit to the school.

Living on Briarcliff, I some­times don’t feel inclined to travel the whopping three miles to the main Pleasantville campus for a sports game or another event. I do consider myself involved on campus and I would say I have Pace spirit and pride. However, I will admit that I haven’t been to a sports game since home­coming. Also, I left homecom­ing very early to do homework (lame, I know.) But I didn’t leave because the football team is not the greatest. I left because I ac­tually had to finish some errands, but I would probably have left early regardless because I didn’t feel excited or “hyped” about the game. I was lacking spirit. Some students blame sports teams for the lack of Pace pride, but I argue that there are other factors, with a major one being the separation of campuses in Westchester. I had to completely leave campus to run my errands on Briarcliff, whereas if I lived on Pleasantville I proba­bly would have stayed and possi­bly mustered up some more Pace pride for the homecoming game. This lack of spirit isn’t necessar­ily a Briarcliff and Pleasantville issue, but some students, includ­ing commuters, do agree with me and say they would go to more events if the campuses were con­solidated.

“Briarcliff people seem iso­lated from events. With the bus schedule, it might be difficult for them to make or stay for events. The Master Plan will bring ev­eryone together, “ Rafiq said.

Basically, the argument is that more students will get involved on campus if there was just that-one campus. But some argue that if students want to be involved they will find a way no matter what their campus-housing situ­ation is.

“If I wanted to be involved with anything, I wouldn’t let liv­ing on Briarcliff stop that,” soph­omore psychology major Eric Medina Rivera said.

But right now, spirit seems to be lacking with more than just sports events.

“Kids are just not excited about Pace events,” sophomore Mariam Parwez said.

Others heard my questions, and several students chimed in with statements such as “Of course we lack spirit. Why would you go to see a losing sports team?” and “I didn’t even know the date for homecoming. We need better communication.”

These students didn’t want their name on their negative opin­ions. The point about the “losing sports teams” was countered with someone saying that the baseball and women’s basketball teams are very good, but the turnout of Pace students to these games re­main low. Many students agreed with the statement that they would only go to games if they had friends on the teams.

With regards to communica­tion, I think that students need to take more of an interest in the events at Pace, and then maybe they would notice the fliers hung on the walls throughout Kesel. Yes, communication can always be improved. But, in my opinion, the majority of major Pace events such as homecoming are adver­tised clearly, as long as you read the flush flash and your email once in a while.

From the status of sports to the amount of communication and advertisement of events, these other arguments may very well play a role in the lack of Pace spirit. But my point about consolidating campuses leading to more spirit remains.

Raven Rafiq, who transferred from the city campus, made the point that students at the city campus can walk to the main Pace Building from most dorms. In her opinion, this is one factor that leads to students in the city allegedly having more “hype” when it comes to events like dra­ma club performances.

“I do think it [the Master Plan] will be good for Pace because the look and feel of the campus is improving,” said Medina-Rivera. “Since everyone from Briarcliff will be here it will no doubt in­crease their involvement.”