Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Setter Soccer Falls To St. Rose

The Setters were pricked by the thorns of Saint Rose College at their home field on Wednesday.

Although Pace got the first goal of the afternoon, the Golden Knights scored the next three goals to take the match 3-1.

Offensively, the Setters kept up the pressure early. Senior communications major Olivia Mapplethorpe put the first goal of the game in the back of the net after just one minute and 34 seconds of play. The goal was Mapplethorpe’s second of the season.

With a crowd of 125 fans behind them, Pace and Saint Rose traded deep kicks and good defensive plays for the majority of the first half. However, the number one nationally ranked Golden Knights broke through late in the first half. Saint Rose forward Carmelina Puopolo found the back of the net on a pass from Nicole Shively to tie the game at one at the end of the first half.

More than halfway through the second half, the offense with the most goals in the NE-10 added to their already large total. At the 76:16 mark, Sydney Bond struck for Saint Rose’s second goal of the afternoon on a pass from Amanda Vazquez. 10 minutes and 27 seconds later the Golden Knights Michaela Phillips scored the third goal of the afternoon to put the game out of reach.

As well as the Setters defended in the first half, Saint Rose kept piling on the shots until three of them found the back of the net. The Golden Knights out-shot the Setters by a total of 24-8 in the game. Out of Saint Rose’s 24 shots, 10 of them were on goal. In contrast, Pace managed to only put four shots on goal.

In addition to more total shots, Saint Rose had more corner kicks than the Setters (9-4 in favor of Saint Rose) in the game.

Throughout the game, Pace recorded more saves than Saint Rose did. Senior marketing major Courtany Hagen raked up seven saves against the Golden Knights. In contrast, Saint Rose keeper Jessica Gerski tallied a total of three saves against the Setters. Yet it is Hagen, not Gerski who leads the NE-10 in saves with a total of 126 on the year.

The loss drops the Setters to 3-3-3 on the season with a 3-2-1 record in NE-10 play. Pace will look to rebound on Sat. when they take on the Falcons of Bentley University.