Annual Red Ribbon Week Promotes Drug Free Lifestyle

In this day and age, the youth of America seems to want to grow up faster than they should. It’s very rare to find a teenager that will tell you they have not experimented with some form of alcohol or drug in the past. Maybe they might not use it regularly, but they have definitely had a sip of this or a hit of that. And nowadays, it’s easier and quicker for people to get hooked on these drugs because of all the chemicals put into them, usually causing the body to react in what feels like a positive state, at least for a while.

With more and more young adults getting into car accidents for drunk driving or having to go to the hospital for overdosing on some drug, there are groups of people that have taken it upon themselves to serve as sort of leaders for drug and alcohol prevention. From this idea, that goes back several years, the largest drug prevention campaign in the nation arose.

Back in 1985, a young man named Enrique “Kiki” Camarena, an agent for the U.S Drug Enforcement Administration, was working undercover in Mexico to investigate several drug cartels. His efforts proved productive when 37-year-old Camarena received a tip that uncovered a large narcotics manufacturing operation in Chihuahua, Mexico. Due to the discovery of this and other drug operations, several drug cartel leaders were angered, which would result in the kidnapping and torture of Agent Camarena and other key informants on Feb. 7, 1985. One month later, DEA agents found Camarena’s body.

Family, close friends and members of Camarena’s hometown of Calexico, California decided to wear red ribbons in honor of his memory and his efforts against illegal drugs soon after his death.

As Agent Camarena’s story was brought to the public eye, citizens brought it upon themselves to continue his idea that anyone can make a change. The red ribbons the public donned became an anti-drug symbol. Clubs were formed in high schools to raise awareness of drug abuse, which eventually presented the First Lady of the United States Nancy Reagan with a signed anti-drug and alcohol pledge. A year later, residents in California, Illinois, and Virginia wore red ribbons in late Oct. through early Nov. Finally, in 1988, the first National Red Ribbon Week was celebrated.

Since then, the National Family Partnership (NFP), a nonprofit organization to bring light to drug prevention, sponsors the annual Red Ribbon Celebration.  The NFP website states that this week “serves as a catalyst to mobilize communities to educate youth and encourage participation in drug prevention activities.”

According to the DEA and the NFP, approximately 80 million people participate in Red Ribbon events every year. Schools across the country have adopted educational and prevention programs for alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs in correlation to Red Ribbon Week. Every year a new theme arises for drug free youth to embrace. The 2012 Red Ribbon Week theme is “The Best Me is Drug Free”.

Freshman psychology major Stephanie Balkissoon loves having Red Ribbon Week as a national campaign.

“I think it’s very beneficial in that it opens people’s eyes to the dangers of drugs and alcohol,” said Balkissoon.  “It may even influence some to change their lifestyle or to try to change that of others they know.”

It’s no surprise that participants of Red Ribbon Week have reaped all the possible benefits of being involved with this campaign. Youth involved get an inside and candid look of the true consequences of substance abuse. Balkissoon is also on point with people helping change others’ lifestyles. The NFP reports many cases of people that have given up drug and alcohol abuse due to the national celebration.

Sophomore Charlmane Colter strongly believes that all college campuses should take part in the Red Ribbon Celebration because she feels that high school and college students are mainly at risk.

“Only positive things can result from spreading awareness to ensure safety of individuals and those around them,” Colter said.  “Students should want to get involved because this is an issue we must continue to address. It affects everyone either directly or indirectly”.

So even if drinking and smoking seems like what all the cool kids are doing nowadays, know that there are always dangers attached. Experimentation isn’t always a bad thing when one knows their limits. If you do decide to drink, make sure you always have a designated driver with you. For drug and alcohol prevention tips, more information on Red Ribbon Week, or how to get involved, you can visit www.nfp.org or www.justice.gov. Remember, Red Ribbon Week is nationally celebrated on Oct. 23 – Oct.31.