Joann Hamilton Runs Laps Around Students

Emily DiNuzzo, Featured Writer

Joann Hamilton can be found teaching kickboxing at Goldstein Fitness Center on Thursday nights, often sporting a black and silver t-shirt that reads “I Eat Glitter for Breakfast.”

While she may not actually eat glitter for breakfast, Hamilton has had her fair share of event planning during her time working at a catering company. While she has met the likes of Dudley Moore, Richard Gere, and Truman Capote, she points out that the catering business was not easy.

“At the other end of a party you never party. This was a big learning part of my life,” Hamilton said.

Hamilton has never been a big partier and rather spends her time working or learning. She is no stranger to Pace, having studied at its business school from 1978 to 1980. Although she has no formal degree she is not lacking in knowledge, having worked in banking, counseling, insurance, been a secretary, and having done managerial work.

The Queens native moved to Westchester with her family after meeting her husband. After her daughter was born, she ended her catering career, so she could raise her baby. This is when she finally discovered her love for kickboxing.

“When I moved I really got in shape and focused on my love of kickboxing and fitness,” Hamilton said.

Billy Blanks and Jane Fonda were Hamilton’s inspirations, which pushed her to become a certified kick box instructor, getting certified with ISCA/Thomas the Promise Enterprises in 1997.

Since then Hamilton has acquired more than 10 different fitness certifications and hopes to add two more by the end of the year. She once helped one of her clients lose more than 150 pounds.

“I love seeing people’s progress and confidence grow,” Hamilton said.

One thing that often surprises participants is Hamilton’s age. At 57 she can still do laps around most of her students. Unless it’s physically impossible for her to do so, she claims that she will continue to teach as long as possible. While it was hard for her to start her fitness career at 40, the young people around her gave her motivation.

Junior Sara Vindigni, who has been taking Hamilton’s class for the past semester, explains that now the shoe is on the other foot, with her being the one motivated by Hamilton.
“She is very motivational and upbeat,” Vindigni said. “Her attitude is contagious and makes you want to work out.”

Hamilton’s future goals depend mainly on whether or not she hits the lottery.

“I would love to open a house by the water and bring people in and do a spiritual diet retreat to rework their live skills and bring exercise into them. Have that peace and tranquility,” Hamilton said. “Give them a week to see if they want to change.”

Until she wins the lottery you can visit Hamilton’s zumba and kickboxing classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5 p.m. in the aerobics room in Goldstein Fitness Center.