Marc Jacobs Creates Color Appropriation Controversy

Courtesy of Creative Commons.

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Courtesy of Creative Commons.

Tabatha Gonzalez, Feature Editor

New York Fashion Week just passed and Marc Jacobs received a lot of criticism for supposed color appropriation on his models. Jacobs had primarily caucasian models in his show wearing his designed outfits with pastel colored dreadlocks on their heads. Many criticized Jacobs for his selection of models and their hair.

Many African-American voices argued that if Jacobs wanted to bring dreadlocks into fashion, then he should have just used African-American models with real dreadlocks. Appropriating a specific look that is familiarized with African-Americans to Caucasians was viewed as racist.

Commentators claimed that dreadlocks are seen as “thuggish” or “unprofessional” when worn by African-Americans, but when Caucasians wear them, they’re considered “fashionable” or “unique.” These acclamations are instilled in people’s minds when viewing high-end fashion shows like Jacobs’.

“I agree with the people who say that we can’t wear dreadlocks without being considered ghetto or urban. However, I don’t think that when white people wear dreads it’s considered classy or anything either. If anything I think that they are not judged to the same extent as black people,” sophomore Tiffany Brewer said.

Tiffany felt that Jacobs’ choice of wearing dreadlocks wasn’t necessarily an attack on black people. She mentioned how fashion shows always have models wearing eccentric makeup and hairstyles. The only decision she disagreed with Jacobs’ on was the lack of diversity in his models.

“I didn’t see anything wrong with the dreadlocks worn in the Marc Jacobs’ show. However, he  should have had more races and ethnicities in his model selection,” sophomore Marissa Ruland said.

Fashion shows are often criticized in the models chosen and how they are presented. Just recently, Kanye West’s fashion show was seeking out solely biracial models. An outcry  occurred and people questioned what was considered biracial. Audiences often argue that because certain models are chosen, only “that kind” of looking person is fit for the style presented.

Designers and public figures are always scrutinized and criticized for their choices in actions and comments. Jacobs initially responded:

“@radical.lizeth @emmelephant and all who cry ‘cultural appropriation’ or whatever nonsense about any race or skin color wearing their hair in any particular style or manner — funny how you don’t criticize women of color for straightening their hair,” Jacobs wrote. “I respect and am inspired by people and how they look. I don’t see color or race — I see people. I’m sorry to read that so many people are so narrow-minded … Love is the answer. Appreciation of all and inspiration from anywhere is a beautiful thing. Think about it.”

Jacobs was backlashed with even more angry commentary about how ignorant and apathetic he sounded about the issue. Ultimately, after several apologetic comments and posts, he ended the stirrup with an apology to all he offended and a statement of his consideration over people’s thoughts.