Why My Passion for Travel Makes it Hard(er) to Date

Michelle Ricciardi, Editor in Chief

“I’m not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.”-Unknown.

The dating scene has made a turn for the worst; with dating apps like Tinder and Bumble (all of which I refuse to even consider using), meeting people and having an actual connection or meaningful conversation that doesn’t come with a “What you doin later” text is no easy task. And honestly, I’m perfectly content with being alone rather than settling for something boring or meaningless. I’m in no rush to be tied down because I’m too preoccupied with flying away (literally).

However, I do believe that my experiences abroad have impacted my lack of interest by raising my standards.

• It’s hard to connect with people who don’t share your passions: People come in all forms with all different hobbies and interests. Not everyone out there actually likes to travel the same way as you do. I’ve met guys who’s ideal vacation is to lay on a beach at a 5-star hotel in Cancun and sip Piña coladas until the sun goes down or consider Labor Day weekend in Belmar their “favorite experience ever.” That’s great for you all, but that’s just not me. I’d rather be jet skiing through canyons, snorkeling through Southeast Asia, or learning how to surf in Costa Rica.
  • Not everyone can keep up with you: Aside from not having the same travel habits, not everyone likes to travel. When my wanderlust hits, I could hop on a plane to the other side of the world and not even bat an eye at the 24+ hour flight time whereas some people would go crazy after being in the air for more than two hours. Not to mention that not everyone is adaptable and enjoys being that far out of their comfort zone. Traveling forces you to leave the familiar behind and there are people out there who don’t like change. You have to be willing to go with the flow and be up for the adventure otherwise you might miss out on some amazing experiences.
  • Mundane conversation is such a turnoff: M.D. Water once said, “Seduce my mind and you can have my body, find my soul and I’m yours forever.” As a communications major, I’m pretty good at making small talk. However, it can get pretty boring to talk to guys about “what’s up” when there’s a whole world out there full of ideas and experiences. Traveling forces you to really look at the world and think about what you want out of life. It changes you, makes you more whole while at the same time taking you away from the familiarity of day-to-day life. Since being abroad, I’ve found it much easier to talk to people, even foreigners, about anything because travel expands your mind. If someone can’t contribute anything thought provoking to the conversation, there’s no way to keep my interest.