Injured Pace Athletes Continue Exercise In Art

Paloma Martinez, Featured Writer

Student athletes are often perceived by society as being hard-partiers and poor students.  However, Shannon McKenna and Lauren Foballe, both former Pace soccer players, defy the aforementioned stereotype. When the girls suffered separate injuries, they united in the same passion to escape the pain.

McKenna is from Florida but returned to her childhood state to play for Pace.

While she admitted that her first season was difficult and emotionally draining, McKenna figured that the second year would be better.  Unfortunately, she tore her meniscus in a tournament during the spring season and second semester at Pace. 

The junior journalism major missed the rest of the season, pre-season in August and a majority of the fall season due to surgery and upon her return, realized that she didn’t hold the same sentiments towards the sport as she once did.

“When you’re a freshman you think that you can just put up with it and that the rest will be fun but I was still miserable,” McKenna said. “It started out as something I loved and became a job that I hated going to every day.”

Foballe’s early retirement was also injury related but instead submitting to surgery as McKenna did, she made the tough decision to quit the soccer team to let her body heal. 

“It was clear if I wanted to play I would be very limited or have to get surgery, go through rehab and get in shape while missing half of the season,” said Foballe, who originally played soccer in Glastonbury, CT. “It was selfish but I just couldn’t watch from the bench and have my last year of soccer be like that.”

The 21-year-olds didn’t let their decisions bring them down, rather, they escaped the physical pain through art.

McKenna was introduced to painting here at Pace where she took a class with her roommates just for fun but then realized how much she really enjoyed it.  

“It’s fun, it kind of just distracts you from life,” said McKenna, who credits her new-found passion to Professor Rispolli who encouraged her to see art in a new way.

Foballe has always had an eye for art. She has been painting and drawing since her early childhood and even went to a private school that had a heavy emphasis in the arts.  Initially Foballe wanted to go to school for her hobby but her mother convinced her otherwise.  However, the senior criminal justice major didn’t let her career choice get in the way of her passion and still continues to draw when she can.  

“I like painting and drawing mostly but I like ceramics and ink too.  I like to use acrylics and water colors for painting,” Foballe said.

McKenna and Foballe both hold honors awards and GPAs over 3.5.  The two girls aren’t the average jocks and they proved that even though it was tough to juggle school, soccer, and work, it was possible.  Now they have expanded their passion for sports to an appreciation for the arts.