50 Years & Thousands Of Students Later: Pace Says Goodbye To Professor Weishaus

MARICIELO GOMEZ, Featured Writer

Everybody here has their own favorite professor, and when it comes to students here in Pleasantville, it is unsurprising that a big number favor educator Dr. Howard Weishaus. After 17 years of teaching political science and history to thousands of Pace students, Weishaus retired at the beginning of the fall semester.

Many students were left pondering if there will ever be a Pace professor with such charisma, knowledge, and passion for student learning as Weishaus.

“Weishaus was one of the most loved professors here. I enjoyed his classes,” senior history major Sara Moriarty said. “His History 134 ‘Modern Latin America’ course [was] always full for a reason.”

In efforts to reach him, students grew restless with the professor’s email no longer being on file.

On September 9, Dean of Dyson College of Arts & Sciences Nira Herrmann addressed Weishaus among several other faculty changes, in a mass university email.

“We wish [him] well as [he moves] forward with the next phase of [his] career,” the email read.

If there’s anyone at Pace who knows Weishaus, that would be his close colleague and friend, Dr. Lawrence Hundersmarck, Chair of the Philosophy and Religious Studies Department.

“He gave me a call in the summer when he decided to retire, since we’ve been friends for so many years. I knew he was thinking about it, but didn’t know if he had reached his final decision,” Hundersmarck said. “The man is 75 after all!”

For 50 years, Dr. Weishaus devoted his life to teaching, beginning with the minds of high school students, and ending his career at Pace.

Along with his Masters in History from Columbia, Weishaus has accepted many achievements, such as the Dean’s Award for Outstanding Faculty in 2004, and the Pace Yearbook Dedication in 2010. He also received the 2015 Keenan Award for Teaching Excellence, which is one of the highest teaching achievements for educators in the country.

“He had a tremendous following. Students would actively go and see what courses he was teaching,” Hundersmarck said. “I think the most important thing that he has mastered is connecting with other people. He has connected with so many people who enjoy being with him, myself included.”

When speaking about their camaraderie, Hundersmarck was quick to pinpoint what made his conversations with Weishaus so thrilling.

“I always enjoyed being with him because he was so well informed about what was going on in the whole Pleasantville campus. He had extraordinary interpersonal skills, and spoke with everyone. So I can get instantly, rich information about what was good and not so good,” Hundersmarck said. “[Weishaus] made it his mission to be in the know. He will be missed.”

Dyson College of Art & Sciences held a reception dinner for the 75-year-old in Choate House on September 9, with past students and colleagues, commemorating Weishaus and his incomparable legacy.

“[Weishaus] is an incredible scholar, educator, and man,” Hundersmarck said. “Well, thanks for the memories! Life goes on.”