Is Greek Life Struggling on Campus?

Photo via Twitter

Photo via Twitter

Tabatha Gonzalez, Feature Editor

Circle of Greeks is an event held every year to get students involved in sorority and fraternity life on campus.

Greek life, as said by many brothers and sisters, is an opportunity to open up and share your college experience with a group of people you grow to bond and have close, life-long relationships with. What was different at this year’s event was the low turnout that was noted by some Greek members. Many factors can play into this role such as scheduling conflicts or lack of interest in the organizations.

Though the lifestyle fits some, others who perceive Greek life from an outside perspective, do not agree with Greek life’s philosophy.

“Personally, I think Greek life is a great way to meet people, but I also think it’s forced. I don’t think sororities or fraternities are accepting to all types of people and they tend to all ‘look the same,’ ‘act the same,’ etc. It’s a mold that one has to fit in, in order to be accepted. I don’t see any positives except for cute shirts,” sophomore Hailey Pasterchick said.

Others who have commented on Greek life on campus have also mentioned that it isn’t as present as sororities and fraternities think it is. One source mentioned how Greek life’s presence is really minimal on campus and that she was unaware that there even was Greek life until the end of her freshman year. A factor that plays into that idea is the fact that some events Greeks hold are at inconvenient times for those who commute to Pace. For example, this year, Circle of Greeks was held last Wednesday at 9pm and went on until just before midnight. For most students who commute, it was an inconvenience to attend the event, especially if they had class in the morning.

“I thought [Circle of Greeks] was nice. A little different from the past because there was an intermission that got the audience involved. The only thing I was so concerned was the turnout. The turnout looked really low. But there were people up and about interacting with Greeks, learning what they have to offer and much more,” Alpha Phi Delta’s Damon Young, an alumnus, said.

Another reason some students aren’t interested in joining Greek life is because they don’t want to invest in Greek life. When joining the organization, dues are often required to receive gear, fund for the sorority or fraternity, and plan out events—and some just don’t want to pay that.

“Honestly, I think it’s a good way to make new friends if you don’t know anyone and aren’t on a team or anything. Just the idea of having to pay to be a part of a sorority seems pretty unappealing,” Savanah Catucci, a junior commuter, said.

So as sororities and fraternities displayed their recruitment videos during Circle of Greeks to lure in a new generation of brothers and sisters, other students simply were not convinced of the idea to join the Greek life.