Free Campus Parking Creates More Tickets

Christina Bubba, Editor-in-Chief

Free parking passes for upperclassmen is of the many luxuries Pace offers its students. However, with limited parking space, many students face hundreds of dollars of fines from campus security each year.

“I’ve probably received over 20 parking tickets since freshman year,” senior Christine Vithayathil said.

Upon registering a vehicle to legally park on this campus, a Parking and Traffic Guideis given to each student. The physical paper guide is more detailed than the one highlighted above on Pace’s webpage. The packet outlines information ranging from traffic and parking regulations on campus and how to file for an appeal to Pleasantville and White Plains parking regulations.

The guide is subject to change on a year to year basis, just as each vehicle must re-register their car and get a new parking pass sticker each year. The stickers vary in color to indicate whether the car is owned by a resident or commuter, as the rules slightly differ from each other. Reading and understanding the guide and re-registering each year is an easy way to avoid citations.

If a citation is given to someone who did not intentionally make a parking violation, or someone who believes that they did not deserve a fine, the recipient has the right to appeal. The appeal must be handed into the security building in Lot R within 30 days of when the citation was issued.

The appeal process is essentially a written page on why said person deserves an appeal. If the first appeal was denied, the said person has another try to make an appeal. The security department sends an email a few days after the appeal was made, accepting or denying the plea of innocence.

“If they want to give tickets and collect the money, at least use it for better roads or better lines on campus,” senior Nicholas Lewis II said.

If the appeal was denied or never requested, students must make the payments issued or else there will be a hold on their account. The hold will not allow students to register for classes, or even move into campus.

“I have not paid any of them,” Mudados said. “I feel as if the citations should not be as expensive as they are. I also feel that sometimes the citations are not needed and are unnecessary.”

Whether it is not paying citations to make a statement, or purposely making parking violations, students speak out against the heavy amount of tickets given out on this campus. Campus security may see it as reckless, whereas students may have a valid explanation.

“I believe tickets for people who park in handicap but aren’t is okay, but parking is already scarce on campus and at night,” Christine Vithayathil said. “You don’t want to be walking by yourself from the parking lot in the middle of the woods, so you’ll park where staff and faculty park during the day or in a fire lane closer to your building and more public.”