The Price of Pace

Martin+Hall+

The Price of Pace

Martin Hall

Martin Hall

Photo from Pace.com

Martin Hall

Photo from Pace.com

Photo from Pace.com

Martin Hall

Christina Bubba, Feature Editor

Despite Pace’s attempts to expand on-campus housing, along with the increase of residents, the Pleasantville campus can still be considered a commuter’s school. However, there are students who have the option to commute, but choose to live on campus.

Senior Hailey Pasterchick dorms in Elm Hall, but only stays on campus about two nights out of the week. She has a 45-minute commute from her home in Wall Township, New Jersey to Pace.

“I choose to go home to see my family and boyfriend, to work, and I’m a big homebody,” Pasterchick said. “I love being able to go back and forth; it’s like having the best of both worlds.”

Elm Hall is the most expensive dorm to live in at Pace, with prices reaching $7,500/semester. Over the course of the 15-week semester, Pasterchick sleeps on campus approximately 30 days and spends almost $7,000 on her double semi-suite.

“The only downside would be the commute, because of the spending on gas each week, but it’s worth it,” Pasterchick said.

Junior Nicole Rodriguez lives in Martin Hall for two nights out of the week and at her parent’s house in Chester, NY for the rest of the time. Dorming in Martin Hall costs $5,700/semester.

“I need to stay on campus three days in a row every week because of class times, so I need a space to work and sleep,” Rodriguez said.

The student population at Pace represents 48 of the 50 states and 14% of the students are international. 80% of first-year students live on campus. The Pleasantville campus has 2,600 students enrolled. The price that residents pay to dorm at Pace Pleasantville is as follows:

• Tuition: $43,624
  • Standard Fees: $1,706
  • Room and Board: $16,600

With these numbers, a Pleasantville resident pays almost $62,000/academic year. Students could save almost $17,000/academic year by commuting.

“As a senior, I have enjoyed being on and off campus, participating in clubs,” Pasterchick said. “But now more than ever, I feel ready to graduate and start a life of my own.”

Christina Bubba, Feature Editor

I am a junior Digital Journalism major with a minor in Public Relations. On campus, I am Feature Editor of the Pace Chronicle, a part of the Cheerleading...