Forced Triples Remain Unresolved in Alumni

AMELIA GILMER, Featured Writer

Three weeks have passed since new and returning students moved into the new dormitory, Alumni Hall, and many freshmen are still in forced triples.

According to Pace’s website, Alumni was originally supposed to house 477 residents. Yet, according to an Alumni Residential Assistant, the dormitory started the semester off with 537 students, which means that 180 students had to originally live in a double room as a triple.

These rooms consist of one single bed and a set of bunk beds, two desks with chairs, two wardrobes, and two sets of two drawers. Students were given the option to add another wardrobe to their room if they wished, but many decided against that due to the lack of space.

Pace has prided itself in the past on not forcing an extra student into a room that’s meant to only house two people.

“My dorm room last year was one of the rooms that they showed to incoming students on campus tours,” said sophomore Alexandra Franciosa. “[The tour guides] would tell people on the tour that they would all be living in Alumni, suite style, and that Pace would never force a triple.”

However, during the summer, freshmen assigned to Alumni received emails explaining that their room might be a temporary triple.  Since receiving this information and moving in, some students have been given the opportunity to switch out of the triple they were placed in to an available space. Still, many have not been offered the chance to move into a new room yet.

“They didn’t really say anything unless we asked them,” freshman Max D’Agostino said when asked if the University had contacted him yet about his housing situation.

D’Agostino had made plans to room with a friend he knew from high school when Pace contacted him, telling him that the dorm he was placed in would be a triple. Originally, D’Agostino and his suitemates had contacted Residential Life a few times to see if they would be able to switch into a new room but they have since changed their mind and are comfortable living together.

“It’s completely [the residents’] choice. We don’t force someone to move out,” Alumni Hall RA Henry Snyder said. “I have quite a few residents who love their two roommates and their suitemates, so there are some people who are happy with their living situation.”

Not everyone is having a positive experience, however. Freshman Theodore Petrides was in a triple room and just finished the process of fixing the situation.

“Nothing positive came out of our triple,” Petrides said. “I went to [Associate Director of Housing Operations] Matt Lavery and he told me to go to Derek Wills, the Resident Director. It’s extremely crowded, there’s not enough space for more than two people in there.”

Residential Life recently implemented a plan to move those who wish to switch out of their triple into a different dorm and it is based on the students housing deposits. If your housing deposit was paid on time, you have a higher chance of moving out of your room sooner.

“It’s basically a list and they go down the list when there is an opening available,” Snyder said.

An email is then sent out to the student asking if they are interested in taking the open spot. This process was put into effect a few days after the move in date.

Since three weeks have gone by and not enough spaces have opened up, students who are still in a triple and wish to be removed are being reimbursed 500 dollars. If a student’s forced triple situation is not fixed by November 29, they receive another 500-dollar reimbursement according to D’Agostino, Petride, and their fellow freshman Daniel Galarza.

“While the situation may not be ideal, I know that Residential Life is doing everything in their power to make sure that our residents are as comfortable as possible,” said Katheryn Dunn, president of the Residential Hall Association. “I have no doubt that any and all issues will be dealt with properly and succinctly.”