Pace Updates its Transportation Schedule

ATHENA MIDDLETON, Layout Editor

Students will no longer face long wait times for the bus at Pace’s Westchester campuses due to an update in bus scheduling.

The new bus routes went into effect on September 15 and now have additional times for buses departing from the Briarcliff campus. An express shuttle will be leaving the Briarcliff campus towards the Pleasantville campus at 45 minutes to every hour, according to Francoise Crespo, Director of Transportation. This will couple with buses that already depart from the Briarcliff campus 15 minutes after the hour and stop in Memorial Plaza on their way to Pleasantville.

When the fall semester began, students were met with a lot of changes to the transportation schedule. As a majority of students now reside in the Pleasantville campus, the commute between the Pleasantville and Briarcliff campuses now has a reduced schedule for Briarcliff residents.

The new schedule also pushes for buses to depart from three locations on the Pleasantville campus: Martin Hall, Wilcox Hall, and the townhouses. The addition of the townhouse stop will decrease the amount of cars on the Pleasantville campus to liberate parking, according to Transportation officials.

Many students felt the changes as soon as the semester started and were quick to voice their opinions about the schedule.

“The new changes were very inconvenient, they made it harder to get food and hard to get to class,” student Tui Deganes said. “I don’t have transportation, I have a class at 7:55, if I [missed] the 7:15 [I would] be an hour late.”

The new addition of buses means that students will have to wait 30 minutes before the next bus arrives. For students like Tui Deaganes this means that she would arrive only 5 minutes late for class instead of an hour.

The original change in bus scheduling is a result of a decreased demand of students on the Briarcliff campus.

Currently there are only two dormitories, Dow Hall and Howard Johnson Hall, left open in Briarcliff since the opening of Alumni Hall in Pleasantville. In previous years, Pace’s Briarcliff campus housed students living in five residences.

In the fall of 2014 the bus scheduling revolved on a half hour schedule. Buses used to depart from the Briarcliff campus towards the Pleasantville campus on the hour and every half hour. The 2014 transportation survey states the majority of students, faculty, and staff were pleased with the availability of busses. Only 23 percent of faculty and staff and 30 percent of students were dissatisfied with the shuttle frequency, while others were satisfied or neutral on the subject.