New Swipe System for Pace Meals by Next Semester?

Kessel Cafe, where students are entering and checking out at the register. Credit: Sahtrese McQueen/Pace Chronicle

Sahtrese McQueen, News Editor

For some time now, the inflated prices at Kessel have been an ongoing issue that students on this campus have been vocal about. Many feel that the cost to buy a meal is far too high, and this is apparent when they are running out of meal-plan money in their accounts before the halfway mark in a semester. The general consensus among students is in favor of lowering prices – however, Pace may have another plan up it’s sleeve.

On Friday, February 17th, the Student Government Association (SGA) welcomed guest speaker Clifford Mondesir, Executive Director of Auxiliary Services at their biweekly Senate Meeting, where Mr. Mondesir proposed a new system to be implemented as soon as next semester – a Meal Exchange Program. How this system would work would be students would have a certain amount of meal swipes rather than the declining balance they currently have.    

While the system is still being worked on by Auxiliary Services, and many decisions are yet to be made, the student representatives at the Senate meeting and Mondesir discussed what a swipe system would look like for Pace’s student body along with its possible benefits and drawbacks. This swipe system would consist of Meal Swipes – although what defines a “meal” is still being worked out; Declining Dollars for extras add-ons and non-meal purchases; and Flex Dollars. 

Mondesir said that this system is set to be implemented as soon as the next school year if all goes to plan. This new system would have no impact on the already set prices at Kessel, Mondesir additionally noted, which is only affected by outside economic changes. 

Current students would have the option to opt into this new arrangement or stay with the present declining balance, whereas incoming classes would be defaulted into the swipe system, which will eventually phase out the system we know now. A separate system for commuter students is being worked out, but the details are unknown. 

Plenty is still unknown, but Auxilliary Services’ goal of announcing this system when the specifics haven’t been fully fleshed-out is to hear back from students on the topic. In email, Mondesir stated that after gathering more feedback from the student body, a clearer plan will be laid out with the help of student representatives. He also wrote that any feedback is welcome for consideration.