Setters Profile: Delany Williams

SHANE KERTANIS, Featured Writer

Work ethic and talent allowed Delany Williams to earn 16 starts in 17 games during her freshman year on the Pace University women’s soccer team. Williams was also a category leader in shots with 45 and shots on goal with 23.

“I had an exciting freshman year,” Williams said. “It was great to contribute to the team although I was one of the youngest. I am really fast and will use that to my advantage.”

Williams put fear in the opponent’s eyes as a freshman standout.

“[Williams] is consistent,” said Mike Winn, head coach of soccer. “She works hard every day in practice and plays an important role in the team’s leadership.”

However, her good fortune didn’t last long.

In 2014, Williams would play opening day and would sit out for the rest of the season. She suffered three separate injuries to her left leg. With a torn ACL, lateral meniscus, and sprained MCL, Williams had to undergo surgery with a long road to recovery.

“I was in shock, but what can you do?” Williams said. “I knew it was bad, but when the dust settled, I thought about my recovery process the most.”

She followed up by working harder than ever to recover from this obstacle. With her severe injuries, Williams spent the majority of her summer at Pace undergoing physical rehabilitation.

“Coach Winn stayed with me through it all and not only coached me through my recovery, he supported me every step of the way,” the 5-foot-6 forward said.

The relentless drive to come back was not just seen on the field. In the classroom, Williams achieved an Honors math award, and the “mathlete” title. She seemed used her injuries as motivation.

After months of agility tests, lifting, and goal setting, Williams was once again proving that hard work pays off. She had to put 100 percent effort toward repairing and strengthening her leg. A large portion of training was focused on lifting and cutting—the intricate footwork necessary to play at a collegiate level—, which would have to be relearned and practiced.

“The Athletics Department went above and beyond in making sure I had the recourses and help I needed to come back healthy and strong,” Williams said.

When asked about her emotions starting the regular season of 2015, Williams was overwhelmed with excitement. Not only did her hard work pay off, she was rewarded with the unveiling of a new turf field.

Williams overcame all of her obstacles and started the season by scoring a goal and assisting another. Thanks to her efforts, the Setters would celebrate a 3-0 victory and the comeback of a standout.

This season has been just as impactful for Williams as her freshman year’s. She is ranked either first or second on every statistical category with the exception of game-winning goals. She leads the team with five goals scored, tied her freshman mark of 12 points, 24 shots on goal (.667 SOG percentage), and has started all 18 games of the season.

Her dedication and passion for the sport has earned her a top spot in the NE-10. The only thing left to see is what her senior year will bring.