Obesity: A growing concern on and off Campus

Kaitlyn Szilagyi, Health & Beauty Editor

One in five U.S. adults are obese, according to a 2015 analysis in the Review of Business and Finance Studies. But just what causes obesity and what can individuals do at a young age to alleviate related concerns?

Obesity means having a high level of body fat, which puts an individual’s health in danger. This can be determined through a ratio of weight and height called the Body Mass Index. A BMI of 30 or over denotes an unhealthy lifestyle.

Alongside the calculation of one’s BMI, the size of one’s waist can indicate whether or not that individual’s lifestyle choices are the healthiest. Men with a waist of forty inches or more and women with a waist of thirty-five inches or more have an increased chance of disease, according to the WebMD overview on the topic of obesity.

This is largely due to dietary choices, economic constraints, and access to restaurants. For example, the most affordable foods are often those which are less healthy whereas healthy and organic foods are generally more expensive.

Obesity can have several adverse effects not only to an individual’s health but on the health of a community.

For the individual, obesity can lead to life-threatening illnesses such as type two diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, body aches and pains, among others. Consequences of obesity may also include premature death, increased insurance premiums for disability, and decreased productivity as a society.

The secret to any physical ailment or overcoming an unhealthy lifestyle is to focus on health and maintaining health. Surgery and western medications are not always enough to help; even with surgery, certain lifestyle changes are required to maintain the work accomplished by procedures and medications.

Communicating with one’s doctors and physicians about developing a lifestyle plan might prove helpful for some. Small changes are more realistic when making adjustments to one’s lifestyle as well. Attempting to make drastic alterations all at once has the potential to be a recipe for failure and disappointment.

While attempting to improve one’s quality of life, it can be incredibly helpful to have a support system. For example, it is a lot easier to make healthy decisions when friends and family are encouraging or are doing the same for themselves as well.

Pace offers numerous Health and Wellness courses every semester for those interested in learning how to care for their own health and wellness as well as that of others. Students can research schedule explorer or talk to academic advisors with interest in such courses.