New Online Portal for the University Health Care Center

JENNIFER ROBERTSON, Health and Beauty Editor

Last semester, the University Health Care (UHC) debuted its new online appointment program titled the Patient Portal. The portal allows students and faculty to book appointments for the UHC Center located in Goldstein Fitness Center, Room 125, to simplify the process for the Pace community.

Students and faculty alike can find the portal through UHC’s homepage on the Pace website or on Pace Portal under the Student Services category title under “Health Care Services.”

Students follow the link to the Patient Portal and register for the portal by filling out their username, email, name, and birthdate. Once registered, the Portal sends a confirmation email to register students for the program and create a password. The process takes under three minutes.

Once registered, students can see the array of options for them to view beyond setting up appointments. Many doctor offices and clinics have created online databases for patients to access their health information at home. The Patient Portal appointment form allows the UHC staff to know the reason for students’ visits in order to properly prepare for the visit.

In addition to creating appointments, students can gain access to forms that they previously needed to make a brief stop at the UHC Center, to take extra time to fill out before their appointments, or to upload any forms that could be useful for the UHC staff to have prior to a visit.

Senior nursing major Nina Baldini found out about the Patient Portal last semester from a UHC staff member. Baldini spent roughly 15 minutes filling out forms for visits and waiting at the UHC Center before signing up for the Portal.

“So much easier. I just walked right in with no paperwork,” Baldini said.

As a commuter with a busy schedule juggling nursing classes, clinical rotations, and non-nursing classes, Baldini found the portal really made a difference in her experience at the UHC Center.

UHC Senior Staff Associate Kathi Reczek has seen that some students are not aware that the portal exists, but are very receptive to it. She emphasized that the Patient Portal works best for students who want to make appointments in advance.

Reczek explained that same day appointments will still need a phone call or a quick visit to place the appointment. However, if a student is feeling sick the night before then he or she can book on the portal.

For more information, related to the new UHC Patient Portal, visit the UHC website at http://www.pace.edu/lienhard/university-health-care or call the UHC Center at (914) 773-3760.