Phi Beta Sigma makes a comeback to Pace after 16 years

Members+of+Beta+Psi+Sigma+dressed+for+business.+

Members of Beta Psi Sigma dressed for business.

Gregory J. Adegbola

Gregory J. Adegbola

Gregory J. Adegbola

Christina Bubba, Feature Editor

Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. was a recognized fraternity at Pace Pleasantville campus from 1976-2002. 16 years later, the brothers were determined to make a return. After expressing interest of a comeback to the school, the United Cultural Council (UCC) invited them to do a presentation on the organization and what they plan to do for the campus. The UCC recently voted in favor of their approval to return to campus.

This royal blue and pure white fraternity is looking to bring their philanthropy of brotherhood, scholarship, and service to the campus. This, along with their motto “Culture for Service and Service for Humanity,” will help them serve the Pace community in a positive way. They plan to bring their three national programs to campus. Each program directly correlates to their philanthropy.

To support the brotherhood aspect of their philanthropy, they are affiliated with the Bigger, Better Business program which supports minority-owned businesses with a focus in financial management. For scholarships, they have an auxiliary youth group, Sigma Beta Club, for children ages 6-18 to offer mentoring and guidance. To fulfill service, they use Project Vote to educate people on voting rights, March of Dimes which works to prevent premature births, and Sigma Wellness which focuses on a healthier living style.

“We have always been called the people’s frat,” Membership Chair Gregory J. Adegbola said. “We are a fraternity who seeks leaders and those who want to not only make a change but be change.”

Phi Beta Sigma is an international fraternity that has over 200,000 members and 700 chapters in the United States, Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Caribbean. Their constitutionally bound sister sorority is Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated, who performed alongside Phi Beta Sigma at the Step and Stroll a little over a week ago. Placing second in the step competition, Phi Beta Sigma made an impressive first impression.

“We wanted to show the campus our fun side and also to display one of the oldest traditions of the National Panhellenic Council (NPHC) which is stepping,” Adegbola said. “We look forward to not only having Phi Beta Sigma back but having the Blue and White Family represented as whole here on the campus.”

Phi Beta Sigma is hosting an event, Meet the Sigma’s, on Nov. 13 in the Kessel Student Center in hopes to meet interested candidates. They recommend any male student who wishes to be a part of this fraternity and is passionate about any aspect of their philanthropy to attend.

“It will be a great opportunity for us to meet and hang out with some of the young men on campus and for them to learn more about us and the organization,” Adegbola said.

Christina Bubba, Feature Editor

I am a junior Digital Journalism major with a minor in Public Relations. On campus, I am Feature Editor of the Pace Chronicle, a part of the Cheerleading...