What the WiFi? Pace Wireless Internet Not So Connected

Catharine Conway, Opinion Editor

Yes, we live in a first world country, and yes, the Pace community is overall very privileged, despite our incessant complaints. Since we are provided with certain amenities, like washing machines, air conditioning and wireless internet, is proper function too much to ask for? To my frustration this concept was challenged when I returned to Hillside after Spring Break last month.

After a long day of planes, trains and automobiles all I wanted for was to unpack and unwind with some Netflix. Once I was finally settled in, my MacBook Pro refused to connect to the Wireless Internet.  It been working fine before vacation; was something wrong with my laptop?

Oh no, Pace_Secure was gone. Yup, completely wiped from the face of the wireless network leaving Pace_Open and Pace_Wireless my only remaining options. After numerous attempts at plugging my username and password into the allotted field, my heart sunk as I was faced with failure.

Not all students are tech savvy, myself included, and it’s difficult to try to re-register all devices without messing something up even more. So I decided to wait another day to see if the problem would fix itself.

So here I am, a full week later, still chained to the Ethernet cable that I surrendered to one week ago.

Even after my trip to Tech Support in Willcox to “fix” the Wi-Fi problem last Friday, there is still no solution.

So what’s the deal, Pace? Ever heard of the phrase, “Don’t try to fix something that isn’t broken?”

A Tech Support employee informed me that the reason for changing the Wi-Fi around is to try to match the intercampus wireless networks, so that when students travel between the campuses there will be no issues with their internet connection.

So okay, I get that, but wouldn’t it have been a better idea to wait until the students are off campus so that the changes don’t affect their school work?

Ultimately, all I got from the Tech Support Help Desk was an apology and a detailed explanation, and I guess that’s better than nothing.

I am now proficient at the waiting game so Pace Wi-Fi, shots fired.