Senior Year Wins

Kayla Graniero, Opinion Editor

Remember when you finally found a really good group of friends here at Pace? Or how about that class you took that helped you finally solidify your major? What about that night you were the beer pong champion and everyone knew you were the queen/king of the world?

While all of those moments are seemingly profound for students at university, there is no moment better than realizing you are a senior and beginning to bask in everything that it entails.

Sometime last week I was running late for class and then proceeded to freak out over what I was going to wear, if I had laundered enough clothes, if I had time to iron it, etc. I then noticed my sweatpants.

Being a senior means that you have most of your classes with about 15 people in your major that you’ve had classes with before. There is no trying anymore.

There is no straightening of the hair, no showing up to class early to make a good impression (your professors know you, too) and certainly no overthinking of outfits. S-W-E-A-T-P-A-N-T-S.

I have less than a year to go and honestly, all I can think about is getting my degree.

Of course each year of my college career have taught me valuable lessons, but nothing compares to the final countdown. I can taste the student debt at the end of the tunnel.

The days of thirsting for housing points are gone, and I now only attend events that I have a desire to go to. I’m not trying to get involved in an organization; I’m not trying to pledge any sorority.

The struggle of trying to find the right people to associate with at Pace is a thing of the past. I feel comfortable where I am, so I have no need to try and impress anyone.

By senior year, I’ve learned not to room with the party-girl friend so that relaxation, sleep and studying can happen on a regular basis. I have learned the very important lesson that I always have next weekend to go out.

The last year of my college career, although it has just begun, is teaching me that nobody has it completely together (which is completely normal).

While I still struggle with taking on too much responsibility, at this point it’s a reminder that I’m a human and I make mistakes. I’m in my early twenties like most people on campus, so I don’t have my life figured out. However, I learn how to fix what I mess up on. It’s one of the best things that college has taught me.

This was a very important chapter of my life and I will look on it fondly. For the next few months, I will remind myself that time is precious, that I came to Pace for my future and myself, and that sweatpants are always acceptable for a senior.