What They Don’t Tell You about Having an Internship

KAYLA GRANIERO, Opinion Editor

When I was deciding to go to Pace, a big contributing factor to “saying yes” was how well-known we are for having killer internships.

During Preview Weekend I got to speak with professors and other professionals in my major’s department. I was well informed of the companies that love to hire Pace students as interns.

While all of this information has proven to be true in my personal experience, Pace didn’t mention all of the struggles that come along with the flawlessness we feel upon finally scoring that internship.

I can only speak with authority on the Media and Communications Department internships, since that is my major, but the majority of the internships are located in and around Manhattan.

Therefore, to get to these internships throughout the semester (typically about once or twice a week), students must pay the $13.50 on-peak fare for the Metro North train and subway fares. We have to purchase professional attire (if you do not already possess), food, coffee (if you plan on surviving), etc.

I have been working at my internship in Harlem since this July. I’ve learned an incredible amount and worked with amazing people in my field. I honestly could not wish for my experience to be better than it is.

My great experience, however, does not take away the financial burden that was placed on my shoulders as a result of my internship.

Most internships are unpaid. They are credit based, for experience in your field. Which would be all well and good if Pace didn’t cost a standard luxury car per year.

To remain somewhat independent from my parents I have two jobs. With my course load, my organizations, and my internship, I am hustling for a pretty penny to compensate for my expenses.

As an intern, you are not on the clock to work specific amount of hours like an employee. Still, you do work a certain amount of hours, but sometimes you might have to succumb to the “the bell doesn’t dismiss you, I do” authority. This all depends on where you work, what field, and whom you work for.

Another thing Pace failed to mention is that having an internship is taking a class for which you will gain three credits for after successful completion of the internship.

While this doesn’t apply for all internships, I have to post on blackboard my progress and what I have learned each week. My supervisor has to write out what I am assigned, what I have done, and what grade she believes that I deserve for the class.

In addition, there is a final paper due to my advisor by the end of the semester.

Considering all of my other workload, I was hoping that the requirements to fulfill my internship would be less demanding.

Although I’m thankful for my experience, my skills, my mentors, my credit, and my contacts, I could do without the “unpaid” part of the internship.