A Rest from the Stress

Napping+stations+that+the+University+of+Michigan+offers+its+students.+Photo+courtesy+of+google.+
Napping stations that the University of Michigan offers its students. Photo courtesy of google.

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

The life of a college student is a stressful one. There’s the responsibility of having work done on time, usually without a reminder from professors and getting to class on time can be a tall task to order. That is the story of students who live on campus. Now what about commuters? Commuters are saving money by not living on campus, but at the same time their days can be long as anybody else’s.

We all know that when we have long days, it is second nature for us to go back to our rooms and relax for a little bit before we attend the next thing on our agendas. Commuters may not necessarily have that option especially if they aren’t on that level of friendship with residents.

To further dive into the life of a commuter I decided to talk to one. I talked to Javier Nina, sophomore commuter and football player, and I asked him what he thought could be done to make his trips to and from Pace more convenient. He replied by saying, “resting areas so I can lay down for a little bit.”

In terms of scheduling, “Tuesdays through Wednesdays are pretty brutal because I’m here almost all day,” he said.

The fact that he’s an athlete makes his day ten times longer. He’s on campus by 7:45am for team runs and then he’s going about his day filled with classes and weightlifting. There are other athletes who commute that go through the same stress and in fact, commuters in general.

A place for commuters to lay down for a little bit seems fitting for them. When finals start the library sets up napping areas for students to take some time out from all the stress of studying. It would be the same set up for commuters. Nothing too outrageous, but a little something just enough for them to take a load off whenever they deem necessary.

I believe a lot of commuters would benefit from that and we might even catch some students who live on campus helping themselves to the commuter’s abode. This would give commuter’s a taste of what living on campus could be like and to be of more convenience to them.