The Essential Need for More Washing Machines in Dorms

One+of+the+two+washrooms+located+at+the+Townhouses.+Photo+taken+by+Josiah+Darnell.+

One of the two washrooms located at the Townhouses. Photo taken by Josiah Darnell.

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

Laundry is an essential part of college because outfits that are planned out on a day-to-day basis depend on whether certain clothes are cleaned or not. In order for those clothes to be clean the laundry has to be done.

Pace has already had a limited supply of washer and dryer machines in their dorms and that issue follows suit for the Townhouses as well. In Martin and North Halls, there is one washroom with five washers and dryers for the entire building.

There are hundreds of residents in those buildings and they definitely need more than five washers and dryers. The Townhouses are in a similar predicament. There are three rows with 12 houses per row and eight people in each house. Only two rows have washrooms connected to them and, again, there are only five washers and dryers in them. One row of houses does not have a washroom connected to them so every house in that row has to make trips to other rows to do their laundry.

Townhouse residents already have to leave their house to do laundry, no matter the weather and the residents in that row that doesn’t have a washroom connected to it has a longer commute to wash their clothes.

That now leaves 10 washers and dryers for over 200 residents. A situation like that makes washing clothes so difficult because the competition for the washing machines elevates to a higher level.

It’ll be much more convenient for students if another washroom was built for the Townhouse row that doesn’t have one. That’ll also give students in the other rows another option to go to when their washrooms are full. The ratio between residents and washing machines will be better as well.

The newer dorms are the standard that all the others wish to reach, where there are washrooms on every floor in the dorm. A request like that may be a reach when it comes to North and Martin Halls because washrooms just can’t be placed on every floor, but more machines can be put in the washrooms that are already in place.

As for the Townhouses, that one washroom makes a huge difference. Five extra washers and dryers may not seem like much but 15 is a significant improvement compared to 10, and in this case 15 is what’s needed.