SGA Meeting Update 3/28

Taylor Longenberger, News Editor

Student Government Association (SGA) met in Lienhard Lecture Hall Fri. March 28.

Sasha-Gay Scott spoke on behalf of the Week of Welcome (WOW) Committee and the proposed idea of incorporating the Involvement Fair into the Orientation and Week of Welcome process. Scott explained that bringing the Involvement Fair to Convocation could improve first year student involvement by promoting organizations at an event that all first year students are required to attend. Concern was voiced regarding preparation for tabling at the event but it was also voiced that the addition could potentially make convocation a larger event that the entire campus attends.

Constitution committee will meet on Tues. April 1 at 9pm in the SGA office to vote on finalized amendments.

A University committee has been formed in order to alter the smoking policy on campus. In Pleasantville, the policy states that smokers must stand 50 feet away from any building, where as on the New York City Campus, smoking has been banned completely. The Committee has discussed three options for the Pleasantville campus: remain with the same policy of 50 feet, ban smoking on campus, or create a phase out plan that (unless NY state changes legislature) will slowly remove the allowance of smoking on campus.

Official organization status for Commuter Advisory Board (CAB) in SGA was approved. There are now two official organizations of SGA, Resident Hall Association (RHA) and CAB. Both organizations represent student body that will always be a part of campus.

SGA elections will be held the week of April 7 through 11; they will be conducted online and at designated voting stations.