Commuters Seek To Have Lockers on Campus

ELISE ADAMS, Layout Editor

The Pace University Commuter Advisory Board (CAB) held a meeting last Wednesday afternoon in a Conference Room at Kessel. Jessica Raja, a commuter from Brooklyn, attended in hopes of speaking on behalf of her fellow commuters.

Raja has been trying to get lockers on campus for commuter students to be able to keep textbooks, binders, laptop chargers, and anything else that may be an inconvenience to carry around campus all day.

“I think we would all feel a weight lifted off of our shoulders, literally, if we didn’t have to lug around all of our spirals, textbooks, binders, chargers and folders all day,” Raja. said “It would be nice to have a locker to go to in between classes to pick up our next textbook and drop off our last one.”

Caroline VerPlanck, a campus resident, agreed with Raja.

“I guess since I live here, I never realized how nice it is to go back to my house during my break between classes. I would hate having to sit in Kessel or the library with all of my stuff for the day just waiting for my next class,” VerPlanck said.

According to the U.S. News of Education website, more students commute to school than live in college housing. Forty percent of Pace students dorm, while 60 percent commute.

Shawn Livingston, Senior Associate Director for Student Development & Campus Activities (SDCA) does not think there is a high enough demand for lockers on campus.

“You know, we used to have lockers here for commuter students, but no one was utilizing them. After a few years of no use, we got rid of them,” Livingston said. “If enough students express that they would like lockers here, I’m sure we could work something out.”

Allison Prashad, a commuter from Westchester, says she probably would not use lockers if they were on campus.

“I drive here from my house so I keep all of my stuff in my car. I even nap in there in between classes,” Prashad said. “I wouldn’t use the lockers because I guess my car acts as a locker would to someone who doesn’t drive here. I’ll still sign the petition though, because if I didn’t have a car I wouldn’t like carrying around all of my stuff all day.”

Raja plans to start a petition and get at least 200 signatures from both the New York City and the Pleasantville campuses.

“I think it’s important to feel comfortable when you commute to school, and this would definitely help all of us out in that regard,” Raja said.

Raja hopes to have lockers for commuter students before the spring semester ends and promises to do whatever she can to get them.